Geographically vast and containing an eventful history spanning back thousands of years, you might struggle with figuring out just where to start exploring during your visit to London. If you're staying in one of our London serviced apartments, we're always happy to offer our tips and suggestions, however, there's also a wealth of informative London tours and friendly tour guides ready take you by the hand and give you an introduction to the sights and sounds of the city.
From relaxing bus tours to Harry Potter walks, here's our favourite tours of London to help you explore the city in unique and interesting ways:
1. Bus Tours
Want to ride the London buses like a local? Plenty of London's regular bus routes pass by major tourist hotspots and offer a great whistle-shop tour of the city. The No.11 bus is known for offering the best sightseeing route through London. Starting in Fulham, the bus passes through the luxurious Sloane Square, heads past Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, the Strand and the Bank of England before ending up near the trendy area surrounding Liverpool Street Station.
2. Thames Boat Cruises
Steady your sea legs as one of the best ways to gain stunning views of London's major attractions is with a London river cruise. Hop on board to explore London's 2000 years of history from the comfort of the top deck of a boat. You can escape from the stuffy tube and enjoy London from your unique vantage point on the water and hop-on and hop-off at various piers along the river to continue your exploration on foot.
For an even more luxurious way to view the city, opt for a Thames dinner cruise. Feast on a three-course meal with stunning views of Big Ben and Tower Bridge passing by your window before stepping upstairs to the open-air deck to see the sparkling business district of Canary Wharf lit up at night. In fact, we headed along on a Thames dinner cruise for our own Christmas party so can personally testify to its great food and stunning sights!
|Seven Noses of Soho|
3. Walking Tours
Whether you're a London first-timer or think you know the city like the back of your hand, there's plenty of alternative London walks which will help you to delve deeper into London's cultural scenes and less well-trodden areas. Here's just a few of them:
- Alternative London Tour - Take a crash course in London's street art scene and explore the most creative and vibrant areas of the East End on the Alternative London Walking Tour. You'll be led to see the area's freshest and most iconic street art and learn about the history and events that have shaped the East End to be what it is today.
- London Underground Treasure Hunt - Feel like your knowledge of the London Underground needs some brushing up? Meet the Master of the Hunt at Leicester Square station before picking up your Treasure Hunter Pack and embarking on the London Underground Treasure Hunt. Find the treasure and beware of Agent Orange who will be lurking on the underground to disrupt your mission. You might even win some London Underground merchandise at the end.
- Seven Noses of Soho - One of central London's more unusual attractions, if you walk around Soho you may be able to spy sculpted noses attached to some of the buildings. Whilst some are obvious, others are a little hard to sniff out so head on the tour, lead by Peter Berthoud, to view them all and even see some ghost noses and a bonus ear along the way!
- East End Food Tour - Discover the rich history of the East End through the medium of food. The East End Food Tour will take you to markets, bakeries and restaurants where you'll get to sample some of the favourite local dishes of real Londoners and learn more about the history of the neighbourhood.
- London Gone Wild - Night owls need look no further than London Gone Wild for a quick glimpse into London's nightlife scene. Whether you'd prefer to explore the trendy bars around Shoreditch or experience the glamour and buzz of clubs in the West End, London Gone Wild has four different bar and club crawls in four different and distinct areas to suit the party animal inside you.